Microsoft 365 Family and MobiSystems OfficeSuite Family Comparison
Office productivity apps aren't just for work. Especially these days, when you have so many side projects to complete. Office suites come in handy in every modern household, whether you have to write some reviews, manage a family budget sheet or help your kid with a school presentation.
But how do you choose the proper office suite for your home? You must consider how many people will use the software, the apps required, and whether you have PCs or Macs.
If you plan to share the office pack with the family, we recommend you get a licence for several users and devices. First, this way, you can easily access your files on the go. Second, it is a more affordable and budget-friendly solution. With a subscription of several people, you will get full access to the apps at a low cost of ownership.
The annual family subscription plans are the best bargain in such a case. Here, we will present two products of this type: MobiSystems’ OfficeSuite Family plan for 6 people and Microsoft 365 Family 6-user subscription.
Microsoft 365 Family Overview
Microsoft’s cloud-based productivity suite can be a great value proposition. The 365 Family subscription is for up to 6 people (could be family members, roommates, or friends). Its price compared to their personal plan makes it a financially wise investment even for only two people.
The family plan is for non-commercial use and is probably the most full-featured option for households. It includes premium Office apps and advanced security layers. Each user gets their own account, personal OneDrive and Outlook storage and can install apps on up to 5 devices.
Microsoft 365 Family Annual Subscription’s Main Points:
- It includes premium versions of the core Microsoft apps – Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint – plus OneNote, OneDrive, Skype for Business, and MS Teams Personal. For desktops, this is still the most feature-rich and complete office suite on the market. You can complete tasks on the go with the mobile app.
- The plan allows up to 6 people to use the apps on multiple devices (5 signed-in devices per user at a time). So, you have all your home and personal devices covered (even with a vacancy for a new one to sign in).
- Microsoft 365 Family runs on Windows versions as old as Windows 8.1 and the three most recent versions of macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Every user gets 1 TB of free cloud storage space in OneDrive (which means 6 TB for the whole plan). That's more than enough – you can store all your files in the cloud and still have space. Keep in mind that each storage account is personal, so you can’t see the files of other family members (unless shared).
- Two-step verification in OneDrive Personal Vault, threat detection, recovery and message encryption are part of MS 365 cybersecurity protection.
- As you get the premium version of Outlook, you will have 50 GB of mail storage space. For personal correspondence, it is more than you’ll need.
- The subscription goes with some helpful apps and add-ins for home use. With the Family Safety app, parents can manage screen and game time, track kids, monitor driving behaviour for inexperienced drivers, etc. The grammar and spelling assistant in Word and Outlook called Editor provides a plagiarism filter and style suggestions. Money, an Excel add-in, tracks and organises family finances and banking data. Other handy tools are PowerPoint's Designer and Word's Resume Assistant powered by LinkedIn insights.
- Free templates, stock photos, icons, and fonts
- 60 free minutes of Skype calls to mobiles and landlines per month. The service is available in about 60 countries (mobile calls only in some), so you better check if you live in one of them.
- Bug fixes, updates and new features are available as soon as released. That means subscribers will always have the latest version.
- 24/7 phone and chat support
- The annual subscription saves you the hassle of paying every month.
- An internet connection is required to use most of the plan’s features and perks.
- There is a 30-day free trial option if you feel like testing before making a payment.
OfficeSuite Family Overview
MobiSystems’ productivity suite is a convenient alternative to Microsoft Office for those on a tighter budget. The OfficeSuite Family subscription is also for 6 people and for non-commercial use. Its cost-cutting price and all-you-need functionalities make it one of the best options on the market.
The OfficeSuite product offers a familiar interface with powerful features, allowing you to work without a steep learning curve and extensive training. Each user gets an account, MobiDrive storage, up to 10 Mail & Calendar accounts, and can install apps on 1 PC & 2 mobiles.
OfficeSuite Family Annual Plan Details:
- It includes the full version of MobiSystems’ core apps – Documents, Sheets, Slides, PDF – plus Mail & Calendar (the last one for PC only). Users get something missing from the extensive MS 365 app list: a PDF app. The iOS and Android OfficeSuite mobile apps are very functional and easy to use.
- The subscription is for up to 6 users. Each member can use the apps on 1 PC & 2 mobile devices at once. The number of devices per user should be enough for most households.
- OfficeSuite Family is compatible with operating systems dating back to Windows 7, Android 4.4, and iOS 13.0 or later.
- Every user gets 50 GB of free storage in MobiDrive (300 GB of cloud storage in total). MobiSystems’ drive provides helpful features such as file conversion and a special Bin section, which keeps removed items for up to 180 days.
- Strong and up-to-date document password and cloud storage security protection
- Fully compatible with Microsoft Office and LibreOffice. OfficeSuite supports all popular file formats: DOC, DOCX, ODT, ODS, ODP, RTF, CSV, ZIP, DOT, DOTX, OTT, etc.
- You can add up to 10 accounts per user in the Mail & Calendar app. For better time management, merge all your schedules across email accounts into one calendar. Take in mind that mail service is not part of the Family plan.
- The PDF app covers most personal user needs. That means you can fill in forms, sign documents, insert comments and export PDF files to Word, Excel and ePub formats. A wide variety of reading modes is at your disposal, too.
- The subscribers receive bug fixes, updates and new features, so your apps will be up-to-date without you taking care of that.
- MobiSystems offers helpful, friendly and efficient customer and technical support. According to user reviews, the support service is one of the best in their field.
- There is no monthly subscription option, but the yearly plan is less expensive in the long run. The affordable cost of OfficeSuite distinguishes it as a compelling alternative.
- The subscription plan requires an internet connection.
- There is a 7-day free trial option.
Microsoft 365 Family:
✔️Wider variety of apps and features
✔️5 devices per user
✔️Better connectivity and collaboration
✔️Compatible with Mac
✔️More free cloud storage space
✔️Longer free trial
❌A lot of features most users don’t need and don't use
❌Not supported on older OS than Windows 8.1
❌Fewer apps and features
❌Not compatible with Mac
The most significant advantage of subscriptions is that you will never worry about upgrades again. Users will always have the latest software free of extra charge.
But which subscription to choose for your home depends on lots of factors. If you have Macs or need to cover more devices per user, your choice is Microsoft 365. And, if your device’s operating system is older than Windows 8.1, your only option is OfficeSuite.
We recommend that you carefully consider the types of apps you frequently use. Your budget is also a factor you should think of when choosing which product to buy.
If you only use the essential office applications and email, it might be better to opt for OfficeSuite. There is no point in paying for features you won't use anyway (most people use about 20% of the MS 365 functionality). The same applies if you value having a PDF app or 10 mail accounts at your disposal: it’s part of the OfficeSuite Family plan.
On the contrary, if you need all kinds of fancy tools and app enhancements, go for Microsoft 365. Its scope of features and services is impressive. And if you prefer more cloud storage, free Skype minutes and better collaboration, you will find them in Microsoft 365 Family.
Whatever subscription plan you choose, LicenceDeals has you covered! Even if those plans aren't right for you, check out our Office App Category. You'll undoubtedly find the product to take your productivity to the next level!