Microsoft 365 Business Standard and Office 2019 Home & Business Comparison
Microsoft Office has been around for so long that it has become a household name. It will be hard to find anyone who has never used an Office app at least once in their life.
Despite the quantity of office productivity software alternatives, many businesses still prefer Microsoft Office to get work done smoothly. But then comes the more difficult part: Which Microsoft Office version and product to choose?
In this article, we will compare two of the most popular options for business. Office 2019 is the standalone suite whose predecessor versions trace back to the 1990s. The other one - Microsoft 365 - is the subscription service that debuted in 2011 under the Office 365 name (as in the number of days in a year).
At LicenceDeals, you can find Office 2019 Home & Business transferable digital licences for PC and Mac. There is also a more affordable Office 2019 Home & Business licence for one activation on one device. Microsoft 365 Business Standard annual subscription plan is available on our website too.
Which of these are better for your company? Besides the obvious fact that you purchase Office 2019 only once and subscribe monthly/yearly to Microsoft 365, there are more distinctions. Let’s look at them!
Microsoft 365 Business Standard
- Encompasses the latest version of virtually every Microsoft app: Outlook, OneDrive, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Exchange, Publisher (PC only) and Access (PC only)
- Allows using one licence on 5 PCs/Macs, 5 Tablets and 5 Mobile devices
- Compatible with Windows OS's dating back to Windows 8.1 and the three most recent versions of macOS
- Uses the benefits of enhanced cloud integration, so users can easily edit and sync all files online
- Includes 1 TB of free storage per user in OneDrive
- Receives automatic bug fixes, improvements, updates and new features as soon as they are available
- Includes 24/7 support without an end support date (as long as you’re on a supported version of OS and you keep paying your subscription)
- Requires annual payments
- Available as long as the subscription is on
- Requires internet connection
Office 2019 Home and Business
- Includes only the essential apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook
- Allows installation on one computer per licence. If the type of the licence is transferable, it can be re-installed on another device when needed
- Available for Windows 10 and 11 and the three most recent macOS versions
- Besides the free OneDrive storage of 5 GB, users have no additional storage space and no access to the online versions of apps. But they still can edit files on the go through iOS and Android mobile apps (If they don’t pay additionally for OneDrive storage, they need to transfer files between devices)
- Receives limited updates, no new features and no upgrades
- The extended support ends in 2025. After that, there will be no more fixes available
- Requires one-time payment, making the upfront cost high. If customers want to get the next version, they have to make a separate purchase
- Own and use forever or at least for a very long time
- Requires no internet connection to use (needs internet only for the activation)
How to Decide Which Microsoft Office Version Is Right for Your Business?
1. What operating system does your company use?
If it is older than Windows 10, yet you need the most up-to-date version of Office, your only option is Microsoft 365.
2. Do you have a reliable IT team?
Office 2019 comes with limited (mainly installation) support. It could be a problem if any issues related to the productivity apps occur.
3. What kind of apps do you need?
If you only use the essential Word, PowerPoint and Excel, it might be better to choose Office 2019. There is no point in paying a yearly fee for apps and fancy features you won't use anyway. On the contrary, if you need every app and perk the service offers, then go for Microsoft 365. The scope of features, applications and services is impressive compared to the on-premises version.
4. How and how much do you want to pay?
Office 2019 is a one-time purchase that makes it cheaper in the long run. Yet, you have to pay more upfront. It is a good option for those staying on-premises and looking for a predictable cost.
The subscription cost adds over time, but Microsoft urges corporate clients actively toward its 365 products. The subscription is the only option that provides update continuity at a low cost of ownership. Given the fast development of software products, the subscription-based Microsoft 365 is worth the money in the long term. Especially for those looking for the most updated productivity tools at every moment.
5. Does your organisation encourage flexibility, remote work and collaboration through chat and video?
If the answer is “yes”, then Microsoft 365 is your option. The rich amount of tools and the free cloud storage help enhance productivity in the company. If you don't use Microsoft’s communication services and cloud storage and prefer the “traditional” Office apps, go for Office 2019. Do keep in mind that it does not integrate so tightly with the rest of Microsoft’s collaboration tools.
6. Are you more concerned about upgrades or security?
If you don’t want to think about upgrades ever again and always have the latest version, choose Microsoft 365. If you prefer stability to feature upgrades, Office 2019 is the right choice. It is perfect for businesses with security or regulatory requirements to use apps on-premise. And this way, there is no need to train employees on new functionality and features.
Considering the desktop versions of Microsoft’s Office apps, there shouldn’t be any significant difference in performance. However, that will change as time goes on. Microsoft 365 constantly updates, while Office 2019 remains the same.
|✔️ Use on several devices
✔️ Access to all apps and services
✔️ Continuous updates and upgrades
✔️ Customer support
❌ Costly option in the long term
❌ Regular changes can stress some users
❌ Requires internet connection
❌ May be paying for unnecessary features
|✔️ Classic user experience
✔️ Pay once, use forever
✔️ No need for an internet connection
✔️ No need for constant training
❌ Reduced features scope
Office 2019 is for users who like the familiar classic features and experience. It is the right option if you use basic applications on-premise and purchase a large volume of licences.
Opt for Microsoft 365 if you prefer spreading out the cost and have no fixed number of employees. It gives you the benefits of regular updates for as long as you're a subscriber, no worries about file compatibility, and numerous cloud-based tools that enhance the way of working.
If both products are still not your cup of tea, we have another solution for you! Using corporate volume licensing has always been perceived as a large corporations’ choice. But that’s not true! Certified pre-owned software allows you to save money and get a corporate volume licence for your company. Check out our offerings for Windows, Office and Server at this page and contact us so we can help you make the best choice for your business.